SMS marketing is a powerful and cost-effective way to reach your customers, but it can be intimidating to get started. With so many different options and strategies available, it can be difficult to know where to begin. That’s why this guide is here to help. Here you’ll learn the basics of SMS marketing, from understanding the types of messages you can send to crafting a successful campaign. Discover the potential for SMS marketing and unlock the secrets to success!
What is SMS Marketing?
SMS (short message service) marketing is a type of digital marketing that involves sending promotional messages to customers’ mobile phones via SMS text message. These messages can be sent directly to the customer’s mobile phone and can be used to promote products, services, or special offers. SMS marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach customers, as it has a high open rate of up to 95%. In addition, SMS text messages are received on average in just 90 seconds. Meaning, redemption and conversion rate for SMS marketing are excellent.
The potential for SMS marketing is huge. It can be used to target customers based on their location, interests, or past purchases, and can be used to send personalised messages that are tailored to the customer’s needs. SMS marketing also has the power to drive customer loyalty and develop long-term relationships with customers.
How does SMS marketing work?
To start sending SMS marketing campaigns you first need to have a well-established customer database. It’s strongly advised against using bought data and instead to build a healthy customer database through existing enquiries or purchases. Data can be captured through online website data capture forms, purchases, online orders, short code keywords or third-party applications. Just make sure that from a GDPR perspective you’re capturing consent to be contacted via SMS text message. Once you have a solid database to re-target use the Text Global SMS Platform or Enterprise Platform to re-engage with customers. By either sending ad hoc bulk marketing campaigns or integrating with our API to send automated communications.
Benefits of SMS Marketing
SMS marketing has a number of benefits that make it an attractive option for businesses. First and foremost, SMS marketing is cost-effective, quick and easy to set up. Unlike other forms of digital marketing, such as email or social media, SMS marketing requires minimal setup time, and the cost of sending messages is relatively low between 1.99p – 3.8p per text (£19.90 – £38 per 1,000 SMS text messages).
SMS marketing is also highly effective. Text messages have a high open-rate between 95-98%, meaning that more customers will see the message, and more customers will take action on the message. SMS messages are also more likely to be read quickly, meaning it’s an ideal solution for flash sales and time sensitive campaigns. Finally, SMS marketing is personal, allowing businesses to send targeted messages to customers that are tailored to their needs.
SMS Marketing Statistics
SMS marketing is one of the most effective forms of digital marketing, with a high open rate and high engagement rate. According to eMarketer, SMS messages have an open rate of 98%, and a click-through rate of up to 45%. These numbers are significantly higher than those of email and social media, making SMS marketing one of the most effective forms of digital marketing.
In addition, SMS marketing generates excellent conversion rates. The cost of sending a single SMS message is around £0.038p, and the cost of setting up an SMS marketing campaign is minimal. This makes SMS marketing a great option for businesses of all sizes, as it is both effective and affordable. In order to leverage a higher return on investment you can segment data by more recent customers and higher transacting customers. For example, Ordered Last 12 months, Total Orders = 2+ and Total Spend = £80 or more. As a result, this can reduce a database down by up to 80%, lower the cost of the marketing campaign and maxmising sales conversions.
Types of SMS Messages
SMS messages can be used for a variety of purposes, from promoting products and services to sending reminders and notifications. Here are some of the most common types of messages used in SMS marketing campaigns:
Promotional Messages: These messages are used to promote products, services, or special offers. These messages can be used to drive sales and increase conversions.
Reminders, Updates and Notifications: These messages are used to remind customers of upcoming appointments, events, or deadlines. They can also be used to notify customers of new products or services.
Coupons and Discounts: These messages are used to offer customers discounts and coupons. This can be a great way to drive sales and increase customer loyalty.
Surveys and Feedback: These messages are used to ask customers for feedback or survey responses. This can be an effective way to gather customer insights and improve customer satisfaction.
SMS Marketing Strategies
Once you have an understanding of the types of messages you can send, it’s time to start crafting your SMS marketing strategy. Here are some tips to help you create an effective SMS marketing campaign:
- Identify Your Goals: Before you start crafting your messages, it’s important to identify your goals. What do you want to achieve with your campaign? Are you looking to increase sales, drive traffic, or boost customer loyalty? Knowing your goals will help you craft effective messages and measure the success of your campaign.
- Segment Your Audience: Segmenting your audience will help you craft targeted messages that are tailored to their needs. Segmenting your audience can be done based on their location, interests, or past purchases.
- Set a Schedule: Setting a schedule for your messages will help you keep your campaign organised and ensure that your messages are sent out at the right time. You can set a weekly or monthly schedule, or you can send messages on specific days or times.
- Track Results: Tracking the results of your campaign will help you measure the success of your messages and make adjustments as needed. Tracking metrics such as open rate, click-through rate, and conversion rate will help you identify what is working and what needs to be improved.
Best Practices for SMS Marketing
When it comes to SMS marketing, there are certain best practices that should be followed in order to ensure the success of your campaign. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your SMS marketing:
- Personalise Your Messages: Personalising your messages will help you create connections with your customers and ensure that your messages are relevant to their needs. You can personalise your messages by addressing the customer by name, using their location, or including information about their past purchases.
- Keep Messages Short and Sweet: SMS messages are limited to 160 characters, so it’s important to keep your messages short and to the point. Long and wordy messages are more likely to be ignored, so focus on getting your point across quickly and clearly.
- Include a Call to Action: Adding a call to action to your messages will help encourage customers to take action. Whether it’s a link to a website, a discount code, or a phone number, make sure to include a call to action in your messages.
- Use Opt-In Forms: Using opt-in forms will help you ensure that only customers who are interested in your messages will receive them. This will help you increase engagement and ensure that your messages are seen by the right people.
SMS marketing is a powerful and cost-effective way to reach customers and drive sales. With the right strategies and best practices, it can be a highly effective way to engage customers and build relationships. By understanding the types of messages, you can send and crafting a successful campaign, you can unlock the potential for SMS marketing and reach more customers than ever before. Just contact a member of the Text Global team for bespoke strategy planning and case studies.